Monday, August 2, 2021

bar brain

 The bar exam is finally over, and what can I say,...it was TOUGH!

It's hard to find words for it, it feels like I spent the two bar exam days in a trance like state.

It was super super super stressful. 

The essays were easier than I thought, or better: they were doable. Even though challenging. 

The first day started at 11 AM time and ended at 9PM my time. It was tough to go through it, but ok. I sort of knew what I was doing. The questions on the essays seemed familiar enough so that I could actually answer them and write something. I never had a moment of: "WTF? I have no clue." 

But on the second day, I was already emotionally exhausted from the first day, I was surprised by the difficulty of the questions. 

The multiple choice questions were very very hard. The challenge was to stay focused for soooooo long. I had done about 1200 of these questions in preparation, but ' in hindsight' I should have done twice as many.

There were many very long questions, and it took me endlessly to just read them. Me not being a native speaker was definitely a disadvantage, lol. 

A lot of people were facing computer problems with the examplify computer program. I was pretty lucky, and my screen only froze once. I called the emergency tech guy and he helped me to unfreeze the sceen, but it was all a bit crazy.

And not to forget:  the camera was on all the time and I wasnt allowed to move much and I could not even take a sip of water during the testing and it was generally just a very very very stressful two days.

I am very glad that I can relax now.

The results will be out in November.

My timing was pretty perfect. The day after the exam was my birthday and I had a wonderful calm and fun day with my husband and a friend.

Now my brain is slowly getting back into normal mode. But bar brain is a real thing, lol.

3 comments:

  1. congratulations on getting through this, so well

    and happy birthday! give your husband the birthday spanking you deserve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Tina;
    First, a belated happy birthday. Glad to hear you had a nice, relaxing day to celebrate it.
    And congratulations on writing the bar exam. I can't imagine the stress, nor the relief of having it behind you. I'm sure you did wonderfully.
    All the best.
    -FL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting through this ordeal! It's even harder online I think--I took two bar exams in two different states the old-fashioned way in the exam room with proctors. You sound good--if you don't feel shaky after the exam, you probably missed some points so it sounds like you are in a good position. And yes, it does sound like a Fond of Writing episode. I haven't heard that mentioned in a long time.

    ReplyDelete